The United Kingdom continues to recommend EXOGEN to avoid surgeries and reduce costs, an alternative that could facilitate the management of waiting lists.
The NHS explains that non-surgical therapies free up beds for more urgent cases, offer protection by preventing patients from being exposed to a hospital environment, and reduce in-hospital demand related to surgical procedures.
From 2013 until its last update in October 2019, the UK National Institute of Medical Excellence (NICE) recommends EXOGEN for the treatment of stable and aligned delayed unions and nonunions of long bones.⁴
In the last 6 years, the costs of surgery have increased by 25% in the United Kingdom, which is equivalent to a total cost of €7,925 per patient for nonunions and €5,666 per patient for delayed unions. In contrast, treatment with EXOGEN has a total cost of €5,293 for pseudoarthrosis and €4,887 for union delays.⁵
As it is a home treatment and avoids a surgical procedure, treatment with EXOGEN saves between €779 and €2,632 per patient and can be an alternative for managing waiting lists, protecting patients and alleviating the burden on the health system.
- Jorro, I. (March 12, 2020). The coronavirus pushes waiting lists in Catalonia to record highs. Global Chronicle. Recovered from: https://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/vida/listas-espera-cataluna_326601_102.html
- Jorro, I (April 30, 2020). Catalonia is left without a euro to cut waiting lists. Global Chronicle. Recovered from: https://cronicaglobal.elespanol.com/vida/listas-espera-cataluna_343161_102.html
- Callejo, A (July 21, 2008). Pseudarthrosis is a rare but very demanding pathology. Take care Plus. Recovered from: https://cuidateplus.marca.com/enfermedades/2008/07/21/pseudoartrosis-patologia-frecuente-exigente-12160.html
- National Health Service (April 14, 2020). Clinical guide for the management of trauma and orthopedic patients during the coronavirus pandemic (001559). Recovered from: https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/publication/specialty-guides/
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (October 8, 2020). EXOGEN ultrasound bone healing system for long bone fractures with non-union or delayed healing (MTG12). Recovered from: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/mtg12/chapter/5-Cost-considerations
You can find more information at the following link: